Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Leather pants

Alright so the other day I bought a pair faux leather jeans having coveted them afar for some time. I was actually so excited about them that I wore them home from the store and when I got home I was informed by my boyfriend that they looked horrible and that only 1% of the world could ever look good in something like that and that I was not part of that 1%. I wasn't offended. He rarely says he dislikes what I'm wearing but when he does I appreciate it because I'd rather him just tell me then think it silently (I won't lie, most of the time I dress for him). 

His comment got me thinking though- are there certain pieces of clothing that should come with a warning: "only appropriate for super models". It's true there are are certain runway pieces that I would obviously never attempt but when  a piece takes over the high street, to the extent that leather and faux leather pants currently have, my initial opinion that it wouldn't suit me is broken down through repeated exposure to others pulling it off. Maybe I do need to remind myself what I originally thought, because I think when it comes to clothing first impressions are usually telling. I'm thinking of some kind of shopping thought journal. Because I have to say I saw these photos and did have to agree..... they just don't look that good when they are not on chopstick like thighs (sorry Kim).