Friday, July 22, 2011

Anyone else super creeped out by this editorial....?

Sooooo maybe I'm just not cool enough, not down with the kids enough, not hip enough (alright pretty sure using the word hip just confirms that I am NOT hip) but this editorial just freaks me out. I know that we're all supposed to be embracing androgyny right now... women who are so skinny they look like men, men who are so skinny they look like women (the irony is not lost on me) but this is just plain creepy.... 

So this editorial was shot by Karim Sadli and was featured in the fall/ winter 2010 issue of Candy Magazine. The models are Gabriel Gronvik, Sylvester Henriksen and Andrej Pajic (and yes just to be super clear.... they are all men). I thought that it was interesting that they Karim him for the shoot because he shoots men almost exclusively yet he was able to bring such a feminine, almost gamine, quality to the shoot. Although I have to say this concept makes me feel slightly like the fashion world has gone a bit mad that's not a reflection on him but rather on Candy Magazine (let us not forget this was the mag that put James Franco on the October 2010 cover dressed in drag) which is pretty out there to begin with. This editorial, although not really being up my alley concept wise, makes me REALLY want to see Karim work with some female models. I see a very soft Camilla Akrans esque quality to this editorial which I would LOVE to see more of.