Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Dior's first show sans Galliano

So the house of Dior showed their first collection without Galliano at the helm this week at Paris fashion week. Resultantly, I decided to sequester myself from critical opinion until after I wrote this post so I could be thoroughly sure that the views expressed were solely mine. 

In one word I was disappointed. I did not like the tailoring or the silhouettes. There were certainly elements of (Dior) Galliano in the show. The wide skirts and the almost 50s- eque silhouette which I had so come to identify with his shows for the fashion house (particularly the last few seasons) were present for the first half of the show in various sickening sherbet colors. However, the second half moved into a very 70s aesthetic with long maxi dresses and a positive kaleidoscope of primary colors. There seemed to be a marked lack of continuity within the collection which may be an indication of indecision within the house as to what direction to move in. 

I did not like the color scheme I have to say. Not only was there a lack of consistency but the colors chosen were not indicative of what I believe the Dior woman to be, neither are they suitable for the fall season. 

I was just completely disappointed if truth is to be told. In fact the image below is the ONLY look from the show that I actually liked enough to reproduce (and I'm still not massively loving it). I suppose that's really all that needs to be said.