Friday, July 22, 2011

More Karim Sadli, but not creepy this time

Just by way of a comparator this another editorial shot by Karim Sadli for the April 2011 issue of ID Magazine, the editorial is called 'Shine' and features the effervescent Malgosia Bela. 

I adore the color palette and it is obviously similar to the last post (his editorial in the fall/ winter 2010 issue of Candy Magazine). The similarity is interesting due in part to the fact that a year separates these two editorials but also because this is again VERY Camilla Akrans esque (and not in a bad way). While the palette may remind me of her there is far more tension in his shots and I think it makes them slightly more interesting in terms of the actual presence of the clothing (which I feel sometimes gets forgotten with the prevalence of nudity, or at least semi nudity in most current editorials.... lest we forget it's really the clothes we want to see!). 

I also feel like I can see some of the influence of his background with mostly male editorials in the posing. Malgosia does not appear overtly feminine in her posing but there's a quiet confidence in the body language and an almost rogueish dissonance to the clothing modelled, which considering it's almost hyper femininity contributes to the tension within the shots.

 Again, I would love to see him do some more work with female models. I also am a HUGE fan of the styling which is courtesy of Marc Lopez.