Sunday, July 3, 2011

Mariano + Nicola= Whimsical Genius

 This editorial was shot by Mariano Vivanco for AnOther Magazine in 2008 (not quite sure what issue- sorry!) and I flipping adore it. Mariano is another VERY talented photographer (much more of his work will be featured here) and I just find this entire editorial (aptly titled 'A State of Grace') to be totally and completely visually stunning.

What I find also interesting about this editorial was it was styled by Nicola Formichetti. Many of you may know him as the new creative director of the French fashion house MUGLER, or as fashion director Vogue Hommes Japan and the clothing company Uniqlo. He is perhaps most widely known however as the stylist of Lady Gaga, a position he began in May 2009. He has also acted as fashion director for a number of her performances (Grammys, BRIT Awards, MTV Music Awards etc.), her Monster Ball Tour and some of her music videos (Bad Romance, Alejandro, Born This Way). Not surprisingly Lady Gaga closed his first show for MUGLER (which was much reported in the press).

I have to say most of my knowledge of his work is based on Lady Gaga and his work for MUGLER which is SOOOO fantastically different from this editorial (I'm reserving judgement on the former) that I found his participation in this visually arresting editorial to make it all the more interesting. I hope you do too!