Monday, February 20, 2012

Camilla Akrans S/S Advertising Campaigns


Herve Leger S/S 2012

BCBG Max Azria S/S 2012
So I wanted to discuss both of these campaigns together as they are essentially for the same house although different collections. As many of you may know BCBGMAXAZRIA was launched by Max Azria in 1989, and stands for 'bon chic, bon genre' (Parisian slang for: good style, good attitude). Azria then acquired the Herve Leger fashion house in 1998, this represents the first time that an American designer had acquired a French couturier, and in 2007 Azria re-launched the house using his own designs.

As many of your will know the aesthetic of the two houses are very different. The clothing in BCBGMAXAZRIA is arguably more contemporary, more street wear and more affordable while the Herve Leger collection represents a continuation of Leger's original thesis in combination with Azria's own unique aesthetic. The Leger collection also represents a middle ground between BCBGMAXAZRIA and Azria's two eponymous designer collection: Max Azria Atelier and Max Azria which produce collections of couture fowns for celebrity clients and red carpet events.

Given the different aesthetics of the brands I think it is interesting that Azria chose to use Akrans for both campaigns. I have to say that aesthetically Herve Leger does not occur to me as being the perfect match to her unique and ethereal style of photography. This is likely why I am not a huge fan of the Leger campaign. Whereas, I find the feminine and soft nature of the BCBGMAXAZRIA line a better fit with her style of photography and therefore the picture is, in my opinion, infinitely better..... I also must admit the presence of the horse in the Leger campaign just slightly confuses me.