Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentines Day!

So today is Valentines Day, as many of you may know. Some of you may have woken up alone- with feelings of loneliness, despair and depression washing over you like, some of you may have woken up to a token of love or admiration from a loved one- or perhaps the hope (and I’m not talking here about empty hope but rather of a hope with half a chance of realization) of the receipt of one later in the day, others may have woken up exclaiming with vim and vigor the joys of singlehood (…. Unless you’re a man I’m inclined to think people like this are purely an urban myth. Being single might be awesome but let’s all just admit that the one day it’s definitely not…. Is Valentines Day) and some of you may wake up with a loved one who doesn’t believe in Valentines Day.

I would be in the last group. I love my boyfriend very much and I have no doubt he loves me as well. He simply doesn’t do Valentines Day. At first, I won’t lie,  I thought it was a joke. I was pretty certain that no man was senseless enough to actually do NOTHING on Valentines Day. However, I was informed last night (and it was evidenced this morning) that he really does not do Valentines Day. I’m willing to in part put this down to the fact that despite his advanced age he has only had one girlfriend before and may not therefore have had the opportunity to partake (the relationship in question wasn’t what you would consider to be conventional) in the tradition. However, he brought up a point which I have to admit I do see the logic in- namely, he treats me unbelievably well everyday why should I expect him to somehow feel the need to trump those efforts on Valentines Day? 

Hence, why I am exclaiming myself as a Valentines Day convert. I see nothing wrong in doing nothing on Valentines Day. If your boyfriend makes you feel super special everyday then what’s the point. As materialistic as I am I would rather he buy me something because he felt personally moved to, rather then being compelled by some mass marketed media extravaganza. And in terms of the romance- well maybe in a few years when things have got a bit more stale I will reclaim the one day in the year geared towards romance; however, for now- I’m happy with every other day being Valentines Day in our house.