Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Four top Oscar Fails

In terms of fashion fails I think this years Oscars was a fairly flop free. There were of course fashion misses HOWEVER non of them were epic. In fact I felt like after viewing the red carpet I was unscathed, un-offended and not overly repulsed. However, of course there were some misses. 

First off Camren Diaz. I felt like the colour was just slightly off, to be more specific I would have liked to have seen a color- rather than this putty tone. Moreover, I would have liked to see some more detail on the top of the dress. We all know that Ms. Diaz may possess a lot of assets (dazzling smile, great muscle tone and always a fabulous tan).... however bosoms is not one of them. I think some light ruching on the bust of mid section would have just made a huge difference. I would have also liked to have seen a different cut on the bust, perhaps more of a sweetheart neckline. Finally, wasn't a huge fan of the sequins and feathering on the bottom. Think it was all a bit dull and uninventive. In essence, considering this is Gucci couture I expected more- and I think we should expect more. 


So then next photos have been included for two reasons. Firstly because I think Diaz's dress looks even worse in action; and secondly, because Jennifer Lopez's Zuhair Murad dress is my second fail. Alright before the lynch mob hits Jennifer is a gorgeous and unbelievably sensual woman with an unbelievable body, particularly when considering that she's had TWINS! However, since her breakup with Marc Anthony I think that her style... which was always verging slightly too close too mutton dressed as lamb is now FULLY into mutton dressed as lamb territory. I am glad she went long (her silver American Music Awards dress was just FAAAAAR too short) BUT think the dress would have been nicer if it had resisted the inclusion of one of the following: the low cut neckline, the low back, the sheer detailing or the exposed upper arms- it was just all too much together. 


For my third worst dressed contender we have Princess of Monaco, Charlene Wittenstock  who wore Akris. This look was just ALL wrong; however, it wasn't purely the fault of the designer. Charlene did herself no favours in terms of picking her hairstyle, makeup or jewellery... although obviously the dress itself was HORRIBLE (I would even go as far to say disgusting); however, at least it was in white... which somewhat downplayed the grossness. The hairstyle was just too severe, it aged her beyond belief. The earrings were horrible and it was just all too dull. Moreover, considering her broad shoulders the cut was cut a HUGE HUGE mistake. 


 Finally, we have Natalie Portman.... who may or may not have been wearing a wedding ring down the red carpet. However, what we do know for sure was that she was wearing a vintage Dior couture dress- which was awful. I felt that the red with black polka dots were all just a bit kitsch- it it was Zoey Deschanel I would have totally bought it but on Ms. Portman it just didn't work and frankly even if it was on someone more kitschy I thought it was just a bit boring. I do have to say however that I thought her hair, makeup and jewellery (in particular that AMAZING necklace).