Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The intolerable cruelty of Ms. Goodger


So this week on TOWIE Lauren Goodger broke down in tears whilst talking to Lauren Pope and confessed that she had gained weight since breaking up with Mark Wright and that she struggled with her body imagine....... I think the two thoughts on every viewers mind can me summarized thusly: SINCE?!...... AND......

Firstly, I just want to take issue with the 'since' she broke up element of the story. One need only take a gander at my past posts to realize that Lauren had attained, what I will refer to as, 'epic heffer' status LONG before her breakup with Mark.... so I think it is slightly convenient to blame it on that.... it might however have something to do with the cakes, the pies and whatever either sticky sweet treats she thrusts into that wobbly gob of hers.

Now I know I am being a complete bitch here but I don't have a lot of sympathy for this woman. She has oodles of cash, which she has acquired ostensibly by portraying herself as a walking doormat on national television. If she wanted to get fit she has the means to do it with; moreover, she could probably get paid to do it by releasing some kind of fitness video- or just selling before and after photos to a magazine. Furthermore, this just did not happen over night. She has been overly large for at least six months now and it's not like she hasn't noticed. Gosh she's stripped off for magazine shoots (I am referring to the barf inducing underwear shoot), she appears on a weekly television show and she's been photographed busting out of more dresses than I can count. However, now- when she has a new business enterprise- she expects sympathy for a situation which is completely her own construction.

Her feeble attempt to blame this on a break up that was months ago is further foiled by her own admission that Mark tried to get her to lose weight during their relationship.... She says he told her that people liked seeing good looking people on tv. Now Mark may be a lying snake of a man in many respects; however, in this context he speaks the truth.Unless it's in the context of a weight loss program I don't like to see unhealthily large people (which is what Lauren is, in my point of view) on television, I definitely don't want to see them in a reality show. Comedic or theatrical talent may overcome the viewing displeasure in other contexts but in the case of reality television there is no savior. 

I suppose the thing that pisses me off is what is she going to do about it. As a girl I admit that like most women I feel fat sometimes, I've even been chubby at points in my life- but it's not pointing out the problem that will solve it, goodness knows the sadness of the realization has often enough driven me towards a cupcake or two- it is acting on that realization which is important.

As you can therefore imagine Lauren's redundant and pathetic plea for attention has only served to further lowered my estimation of her.... which I previously did not think was possible. At least I don't really feel bad about calling her fat- as she has now labeled herself as such but I would like to see her surprise me and do something about it rather than just whinging.

Actually, I will say it here and now- if she does something about it I will write a glowing post for her in this blog. So the ball is in your court now Lauren- let's see what you do with it (....... just please, please don't eat it).