Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Vanity Fair: Oscar Post Party

So my Oscar write up simply wouldn't be complete without a discussion of the looks on show at the Vanity Fair after party. There were some fabulous unexpected hits and then the milieu of average dresses.... 

Case in point Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise below. Here Katie is wearing Elie Saab and looks completely boring doing it. I wish her hair, jewellery or makeup had more of a pop because she just looks like she's swimming in a sea of blue. Particularly when standing new to Tom. A bright clutch or a bright belt would have been a necessary addition. I also felt like the top didn't quite fit well enough.... in fact it looks big on her. It could have been great I just wish she's rocked a bright lip, at a minimum. 


So here we have Irina Shayk.... and her boob. Ms. Shayk may have opted for a high cut dress; however, never one to disappoint her fans she made sure to flash a bit of skin by exposing some side boob action. The gown was designed by Abed Mahfouz, a renowned Lebanese fashion designed. I feel slightly bad for Mahfouz, this could have been his big Oscar moment- however, unfortunately the boob managed to overshadow his dress in terms of press attention. 


Alright now we have the sexy as hell Beckhams. Honestly, when I played with Ken and Barbie as a child this is what I was dreaming of. So her dress is of course by her from her latest collection. I am LOVING the belt action and I think the gown was gorgeous. The woman never shies away from colour so it was actually refreshing to see her in this lovely nude shade. She got a lot of flack because she didn't smile HOWEVER the woman never smiles. I think people just need to get over that. The smirk/ non- smile is her trade mark look and it looks fine. I think at this point everyone needs to drop the issue and embrace the smirk. Ms. Beckham also tweeted a picture from behind earlier in the evening and the dress looks amazing from every angle. 



For the Vanity Fair Oscar party Jennifer Lopez slipped into ANOTHER (inappropriate) Zuhair Murad gown. This one was worse then the first, in my opinion. I hated the 'lace' detailing on the back. Thought the front was just overly inappropriate, as it was even lower than the first dress. Which she had worn her hair loose and down to at least make the look somewhat natural. It was just horrible. Although the colour at the front was nice, I will give her that.  


Clare Danes was in probably one of my favourite dresses of the night. She looked absolutely stunning in Valentino. I always love her fashion picks but this was just feminine and whimsical and different and just perfect. I think if you're not nominated yourself  you should have to have fun with fashion in a way that is appropriate for someone who isn't nominated- namely, don't pick the most outrageous dress in the world but pick something that you wouldn't wear as a nominee. I think this is a great example of that. 


Rosie Huntington- Whitely was stunning in Antonio Berardi. She absolutely radiated in red. Although I will say that I would like her to try something less fitted at some point. I would love to see her in a full skirt and a strapless bodice. There's one thing you can't deny though- this woman is a super model. 


Minnie Driver was absolutely stunning. She was my unexpected favourite of the night. Just thought the dress was perfection. Age appropriate, perfect cut, perfect accessories- the earnings, the heels the clutch- just all amazing and I love the makeup- her lips are just perfection.


Cameron Diaz showed up to the after party wearing a dress that I far far preferred to her actual Oscar look. Rocking a bright orange Victoria Beckham frock Cameron looked fun, flirty and young. Exactly how she should look. I thought the dress was perfect and it was so nice to see her wearing two long dresses. I think she will make a classy transformation from bombshell action/ rom com actress to more mature roles.... albeit likely in the same kind of films. I thought this was perfect though, particularly with the short hair. 


Furthermore, love that Camren is showing her love for VB. This is the second time she has chosen to wear a Victoria Beckham dress to the Vanity Fair Oscars Party. The first was below in 2010. Love how different these looks are but how amazing she still looks regardless. 


I think this may be my favourite look of the night. It was fashion forward yet classy, age appropriate and absolutely stunning. It was Lilly Collins in Monique Lhuillier. I just absolutely loved everything about it and loved that it was Lhuillier. Looking at it I was absolutely sure that it was Marchesa but it was so nice to see her picking something slightly different from the usual grouping of young actor design favourites. 


Kate Bosworth looked amazing (although I wasn't completely sure whether it was appropriate for the Oscars after party); however, I loved this dress by Prabal Gurung and how much she let it take centre stage. The makeup and accessories were paired down and she just looked amazing. Have to say I would say she could gain a few pounds but the girl has looked like this for so long that I am almost willing to accept that this is actually her body type, as crazy as that sounds. 


Kate Hudson was looking phenomenal in vintage Versace. Can anyone believe she only gave birth a few months ago?! Perfection!!!!


Now we have Maria Sherapova. Slightly hit and miss here. Love that it's McQueen and I love the dress; however, I think that Maria is a bit too old and, dare I say, of a bit toooo athletic in regards of body type to pull of this ethereal baby doll design. 



Kate Upton continues to bore me. I have to stay I tried to embrace her with an open mind- realising that men and women don't always share the same ideas in regard to female beauty. However, I am going to just go out on a limb and say it- I don't find the woman attractive. Think she has TERRIBLE style and her boring and flabby arms and dull face (it's like a bad copy of Anna Nicole Smith) just bore me to tears. I have no idea who designed this dress but it was such a yawn they've done well not publicising it.