Sunday, May 22, 2011

Lindsey Wixson- A admittance of defeat

So I have been anti Linday Wixson since she first emerged on the scene. I don't find her attractive in person or on film and resultantly I just didn't feel any interest in her as an individual or a model. I found that she lacked that intrigue which makes me wants to see what Kate Moss wears, which makes me wait with baited breathe for Lara Stone to open her mouth because something about her face makes me think she might have something actually interesting to say- moreover I want to hear what her voice sounds like. Simply when someone appears interesting we are interested. Lindsay Wixson lacked all of this and more for me and I would have been content with finding her bland but when she started popping up on every runway (insult to injury as she was too young to walk this season and thus shouldn't have been there anyways) that disinterest turned into dislike and then after being reticently forced to view her catwalk experiences via style.com that dislike turned into something stronger. I do not find her attractive on film, in person or on the catwalk. Then she became the face of every major campaign and again I became more confused and annoyed. Particularly when she appeared in Mulberry's spring/ summer campaign... we all know how I feel about Mulberry so I don't even have to synthesize my reaction here. Then when she appeared in Tatler last month I was above and beyond and I decided that I would write this post announcing her total lack of lustre and good looks to the world.

However in preparing to write this post a change of heart occurred but only after some of my long held opinions were further entrenched. I went over her campaign work and I have to say I was perhaps (if possible) more disenchanted that previously:


To begin with the Galliano campaign is straight up average and the Jill Stuart ad is bland. I would suggest that any model could be replaced for her with similar results, arguably better results. The Mui Mui campaign is inspired. I love the look, I love the feel- I hate Lindsey Wixson. She gives terrible face, so to speak. Then the Mulberry ad is terribly bland and also makes me wonder why she is put in wigs for almost all of her campaigns and the majority of editorials.... intriguing observation. Finally the Versace ad is just disgustingly hideous. There is no redeeming feature about it. It's partly the fault of Donatella or her marketing department, who were seemingly on a gothic induced acid trip at its conception but Lindsey Wixson's lack lustre performance is a secondary culprit.

As I stated these campaigns served only to further entrench my opinion. However, in looking to pick out some hideously unflattering shots from her editorials (yes, I know- I'm a bitch) I came across these absolutely stunning ones and I decided that I needed to conceded some territory. Yes, I dislike her campaigns. Yes, I dislike her appearance on film and on the catwalk BUT I do conceded (with open arms) that put in from of a lens, with sufficient time to pose she produces some stunning work. Do I think that this makes her one of the greats, no. Not to get to ANTM on you all but although I agree that how a model comes off on camera is more important than how she appears in real life (my adoration of Molly from Cycle 16 is proof that I do embrace this creed) HOWEVER I would also state that a modern model must be commercially marketable and therefore able to work across a number of different mediums. Resultantly I don't think that Ms. Wixson should be getting all the press and attention she is currently receiving; however, I do concede that she is a talented model with a portfolio of stunning editorial work to her name.


To those of you who may have agreed with my original premise, here are my three favorite editorial shots of Ms. Wixson to further add support to my position that she is a good (fashion editorial) model.